Sunday, June 19, 2011

8.19 Parental Conflict


Brooke came home from work to find Lauren in the den. "I don't mind you here," Brooke said to Lauren as she played video games, "but you have got to start listening to your mother and not arguing with your father. Lauren, do you hear me?"
"Yes Ma'am," Lauren said, setting down the controller.
"Your mom is worried about you. I think you should go home and visit with her." Brooke thought her niece would argue, she hated going home to the babies and her family, but she went willingly. She even stopped to give her aunt a hug on the way out the door.

Brooke's phone rang interrupting her cuddle session with Wilson. She reached over to answer only to find a frantic Addison on the line. "I need you and Wilson to come to Hideaway Fort. It's an emergency." Before Brooke could ask any questions, Addison had already hung up the phone. Wilson looked at his wife and nodded, there was no use in fighting about it.

Brooke's Bwan Speedster was immediately speeding through town. She could only image what had happened. Her mind told her something was wrong with Lauren. Why had she suggested she leave so urgently?

Brooke's car screeched to a stop in front of the Hideaway. Brooke was half way out of the car before it was even in park. But her sister was crying. She ran to her sister throwing her arms around her. "I have to tell you," she said through sobs, "I can't deal with it any more."

She continued jabbering. "She stays out at all hours. She fights with us. I think she knows. She knows." Brooke rocked her sister trying to calm her.
"Addison, you aren't making any sense right now. What's wrong? Is Lauren okay?" Addison shook her head, relieving some of Brooke's grief.


"Wilson is Lauren's father," she said through gasps. "Well, both of the twins." Brooke's mouth fell open. Addison's eyes darted around the room as Wilson stopped in front of them.
"What!" he yelled, his voice echoing off the empty room's walls. "You didn't think you should tell me this years ago?"
"I wanted too," Addison yelled over him, "Dean didn't want me too." Brooke took a step back trying to soak it all in. Her husband was her nieces father. The issue in front of her escalated as she watched her timid husband's anger hit new highs, "Dean," he shouted, "didn't want you to tell me that he was raising my daughters?"

Suddenly Dean's hostility towards Wilson made sense to Brooke. "No, No," Wilson shouted, "Don't give me your excuses Addison." Brooke wanted to interfere, to lessen the pain on Wilson, but she knew this wasn't her battle. "I want you to let my daughters decide where they want to live." He spat towards Addison.


"Like hell I will," she shouted.
"They are teens now, they can decide," he bellowed. Addison didn't seem to like this idea for as soon as it was out of his mouth she reached through the space separating them and slapped him twice.

With all her rage gone, Addison looked from her sister to Wilson and ran in tears out the door.

Wilson stood, trying to push his rage down. He'd never been that angry before. He'd never had a reason. "Let's go," he whispered to Brooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment