Sunday, August 1, 2010

2.7 Wedding Bells and snags

Kaylynn and Jace were married shortly after. It was a private ceremony at Kaylynn's favorite spot on the ocean.

Once the honeymoon was over, the two love birds returned to the everyday grind. Today, Jace was asked to help check in people in for court. He sat, almost bored, wishing the senators were still campaigning. When someone caught his eye.

"Kaylynn! Hon! What are you doing here! My lunch isn't for another hour!" Jace yelled across the hall.
Kaylynn shh'ed him and bowed her head.
"Jace," she whispered as she approached, "I have an appointment. With the judge."
Jace looked at her, confused. "What?"
"Babe, we'll talk about it tonight. I love you."

Jace looked down and highlighted her name off the list.

At home that night Jace approached Kaylynn aggressively. "What was that all about."
"Jace, I didn't want to tell you. I planned on quitting as soon as we got serious."
Jace looked at her impatiently.
"I work as a bag handler. It was all I could find after getting laid off from here."
Jace's heart sunk deep in his chest. "You're a criminal?"
Kaylynn bowed her head in shame.
"I'm sorry. But the judge dropped all charges today."
Jace turned away from her. Hurt.
Why couldn't she trust him with this?

Behind him, Jace heard her dialing on her phone.
"Hey Gregory. It's me Kaylynn."
There was a short pause.
"No no. Everything's fine. All charges dropped"
Another short pause followed by loud laughter from the phone.
"Well, per our deal, I'm out. I'm done. "
Jace could hear someone talking on the other end of the line.
"Thank you Gregory," Haleigh said, hanging up the phone.

Jace felt Kaylynn's hand on his back, "It's all over. Okay love?"
"Okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment